A Worshipful Man
1 Timothy 2:8
The theme for the book of 1 Timothy is instruction about the conduct and function of the gathered assembly (v. 3:15). Many were departing from the faith and false teaching and practices were invading the church (4:1–5). Paul exhorts believers to pray (v. 2:1–8) and then goes on to specifically exhort the men to lead in prayer.
- Worshipful men take the lead in prayer.
- Public prayer of the saints is one of the components of worship.
- God’s intended desire and will is that all Christian men pray.
- Men should lead in prayer everywhere the church is gathered.
- Worshipful men pray with a clean and pure heart.
- Praying with hands lifted is a biblical practice - Psalm 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, And bless the LORD.
- The lifting up of hands represents the manner of life - Psalm 141:2 Let my prayer be set before You as incense, The lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
- This does not stress the form apart from the heart. It is not ritual or exhibitionism - Isaiah 1:15 When you spread out your hands, I will hide My eyes from you; Even though you make many prayers, I will not hear. Your hands are full of blood.
- A pure heart begins with repentance and confession in the heart and continues with right living.
- Worshipful men pray without sinful anger.
- Men typically struggle with sinful anger and a loss of temper.
- The wrath of man is the violent exertion of selfishness - James 1:20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
- Prayer is the way to obey God’s command to leave wrath to Him - Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
- Worshipful men pray without strife and criticism.
- This is not the kind of doubt that questions God.
- This is a skeptical criticism and disputing with others or even with God.
- Debate among the men of what to pray for.
- Criticism about whom and what is being prayed for.
- Disputing with God about His will.
What is keeping you from being a spiritual leader in your church and family?
Our prayer is that the Lord will raise up men who lead us in worship through prayer.
A Worshipful Man
Topics: Biblical Manhood