Abraham: Friend of God
Abraham was called a friend of God.
- The Lord visited Abraham - 1–8
- Abraham showed hospitality to three strangers - Hebrews 13:1–3
- Abraham discerned the significance of the visit - Matthew 25:31–46
- Abraham received the LORD as a friend - James 2:23
- The Lord blessed Abraham through Sarah - 9–15
- The promise was not fulfilled through Abraham alone - 1 Peter 3:1–7
- The Lord promised to strengthen Sarah in order for her to bear a son.
- Sarah doubted the Lord.
- The Lord showed great mercy to Sarah - Hebrews 11:11–12
- The Lord interacted with Abraham - 16–33
- The Lord revealed His plan to Abraham - John 15:15 No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.
- The Lord would accomplish His blessing to the world through Abraham - Galatians 3:8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, "In you all the nations shall be blessed."
- The Lord personally and intimately knew and chose Abraham - 1 Peter 1:2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father
- The Lord intended Abraham to avoid judgment - Matthew 24:44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.
- The Lord would judge Sodom and Gomorrah:
- There was an outcry for justice.
- There was an outcry for vengeance.
- There was an outcry for wrath.
- The Lord is a righteous judge - Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
- Abraham made intercession for the people of Sodom.
- The Lord is a merciful judge - John 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
Do you have a personal relationship with Christ? John 15:13–14 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
Abraham: Friend of God