The church at Sardis was not troubled by persecution or pressure from pagan religions. It was not attacked by the Jewish community, false teachers, or the Nicolaitans. The church was succumbing to its own over confidence and carelessness. Christ called on them to repent or they would be defeated.
- Christ’s introduction - 1a
- The seven Spirits of God is the Holy Spirit and the seven stars are the messengers (leaders who speak the message of Christ to the churches).
- Jesus has under His authority the both the power of the life-giving Holy Spirit and the leadership of the church.
- The vitality (the capacity to live and grow meaningfully) of a church is dependent upon its reliance upon Christ.
- Christ’s rebuke - 1b
- The church appeared to be alive outwardly because of its established reputation, practiced tradition, and religious activity.
- The church was dead inwardly. It lacked vitality (an inward spiritual life).
- Established reputation is not inward life - Matthew 23:27–28
- Practiced tradition is not spiritual life - Mark 7:9
- Religious activity is no substitute for a living relationship with Christ - John 15:4–8
- The church must wake up - Romans 13:11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed.
- Many positive elements might be in place at a church. We must continue to reinforce the good and right things we have.
- Christ’s encouragement - 2–4
- That is to put in the forefront of the mind how the gospel of Jesus Christ saved our souls - Psalm 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits
- Keep holding on to the good and right things Christ has given us.
- Turn from spiritual laziness and just going through the motions as a Christian. Turn to the living Christ!
- A dead church does not teach about Christ’s second coming.
- A church that is alive is a church that is always looking for and expecting the return of Christ at any moment.
- The teaching of the second coming of Christ is a motivation for holy living. Christ is ready to reward the remnant who will be ready when He returns.
Anyone can hear the words of Jesus. Believers are overcomers.
Topics: The Church