People naturally possess a neglect for preparedness. The Lord Jesus warned of His urgent and unexpected coming. Will you be ready?
What does being ready look like and how can we know we are ready?
- 35–36 - It looks like servants who are more than willing to serve their master.
- They are fully dressed and prepared to serve (like sleeves rolled up).
- They are alert and enthusiastic about the arrival of their master.
- 37–38 - It looks like servants who are confident of their master’s reward
- There is great joy and favor to servants who make their master their priority.
- There is an surprising reversal revealed to the servants at the master’s return.
- 39–40 - Being ready means planning our entire life around the Lord’s return
- The one who does not plan for the Lord’s coming will lose everything.
- We know He’s coming but we don’t know when so we must be ready every hour.
- 41–48 - Being ready means taking on an increased responsibility and participation.
- The apostles were stewards in God’s household - 1 Corinthians 4:1–2 Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful.
- Pastors are stewards in God’s household - Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God
- All believers are stewards in God’s household - 1 Peter 4:10
- Some abuse their responsibility (45–46), some deny their responsibility (47), some neglect their responsibility (48).
- The promise of greater responsibility and a pariticipation is a motivation to greater responsibility and participation - Luke 19:11–262; Matthew 19:28 So Jesus said to them, "Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel; Revelation 3:21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne; 2 Timothy 2:12 If we endure, We shall also reign with Him; Revelation 5:10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth; 1 Corinthians 6:3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?
Believers who are enthusiastically watching and serving more and more will be ready!
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:7–8