Do Not Be Afraid; Only Believe
Fearfulness is an obstacle to faith - 4:40; 5:15–17
Jesus rebukes our fearful hearts and calls us to believe Him!
Jairus (God enlightens) believed Jesus could heal the sick - v. 21–23
Exodus 15:26 …For I am the LORD who heals you."
Psalm 103:3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases
A certain woman believed Jesus could heal her - v. 24–29
- The woman had a flow of blood - Leviticus 15:19-31 Thus you shall separate the children of Israel from their uncleanness, lest they die in their uncleanness when they defile My tabernacle that is among them.
- The woman had suffered many things.
- The woman had spent all that she had.
- The woman was no better.
- The woman grew worse.
- The woman heard about Jesus.
- The woman came behind Him.
- The woman touched His garment - Malachi 4:2 But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings;
The Messiah will have healing in the extremeties of His covering light… even the fold or hem of His garment.
Jesus called the woman to profess her faith - v. 30–34
Jairus’ despair became utter hoplessness - v. 35
What was Jairus observing as he travelled with Jesus to his daughter?
The woman was healed; The woman confessed her faith; Jesus blessed the woman
But now his daughter is dead. Is it too late?
The Lord is never “bothered” with our prayers:
Psalm 50:15 Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me."
Psalm 88:9 My eye wastes away because of affliction. LORD, I have called daily upon You; I have stretched out my hands to You.
Psalm 86:3 Be merciful to me, O Lord, For I cry to You all day long.
Psalm 55:16-17 As for me, I will call upon God, And the LORD shall save me. Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, And He shall hear my voice.
James 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms.
Some do not believe Jesus can raise the dead… so they don’t bother Him….
Jesus rebukes Jairus’ fearful heart and calls him to believe - v. 36
- Present Imperative Active Voice: a command to an caction in the future which involves continuous or repeated action or, when it is negated, a command to stop doing something
There is a great contrast between those who are with Jesus and those who are without Jesus - v. 37–40
- Those who are without Jesus have no hope in death;
- Those who are with Jesus have all hope in resurrection; In Christ, death is sleep!
1 Thessalonians 4:13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope.
Jesus can raise the dead - v. 41–43 - 1 Thessalonians 4:14–18
What does the sign miracle of raising the dead prove?
- The prophets Elijah and Elisha both perfomed the sign miracle of raising the dead.
- A man was raised from the dead after comimg in contact with the bones of Elisha.
- Jesus raise a widow’s son and Lazarus.
- A number of saints in Jerusalem were raised when Christ arose.
- Tabitha was raised by Peter.
- Eutychus was raised by Paul.
- The two witness during the Tribulation will be raised from the dead.
- Don’t be afraid of the Corona virus - Psalm 91:9–10 Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
- God’s people are truthful and realistic about death
- The death rate for COVID-19 is similar to Influenza and lower than cancer
Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
- The average age of death in the world is: Men-70 Women-72; US: M-76 W- 82
- The average age of death in the world for COVID-19: Men & Women - 74
Psalm 90:10 The days of our lives are seventy years; And if by reason of strength they are eighty years, Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
- Jesus said, “Do not be afraid, only believe.”
- Are you with Jesus?
- We who are with Jesus will not die but, we may sleep in Christ…
- We who are with Jesus will be raised up when Jesus returns!!!
- Be Confident in Christ, be Assured of His salvation, be Hopeful in His resurrection!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:25–26