What are you afraid of? Who are you afraid of?
Phobia: a persisten, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it; causes anxiety, revulsion, avoidance, terror, irrationality
For a Christian the fear of man is a phobia.
We ought not to be afraid of what someone else might do against us.
What is the most devastating act one peson can commit against another?
Cain will go on killing Able - 1 John 3:12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother’s righteous.
Arguments from major to minor and arguments from minor to major:
- Do not be afraid of people who are limited to no more harm than to kill the body.
- Fear God who is not limited to the harm He can inflict upon you, even hell.
- Do not fear man but do fear the Lord:
- Fear of the Lord brings right thinking: Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Fear of the Lord brings God’s favor: Psa 128:1 Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways.
- Fear of the Lord brings fulfillment and meaning to life: Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man's all.
Fearing man above fearing God can bring eternal condemnation - Luke 12:8–12
Confessing Christ publically as Lord and Savior will always come with a sacrifice and cost.
The Lord assures us that our boldness and sacrifice will not go unoticed - Luke 12:2–3
A vindication for the one professing Christ! A condemnation for the one denying Christ!
How does courage before others and confession of Christ apply in our life?
Is He Lord over everything? Is He the only Savior from everything?
Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe.
To take away our fears the Lord Jesus gives us a reassuring promise of the Father’s care.
Jesus makes an illustration from a minor to a major:
- God’s care for sparrows even extends to their death, how much more is care for us?
- God’s care for the hairs upon on our head is the most extensive and extreme.
Brother and sister we must put all of our fears in the Lord’s divine perspective.