Four Reactions to the Resurrection from
Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
The gospels cover a range of human reactions to the resurrection of Christ including shock, doubt, fear, misunderstanding, and stubbornness in order to encourage and persuade the reader to believe that Christ is indeed risen!
Matthew’s account confronts the denial of the resurrection - Matthew 28:1–20
- Angels showed the empty tomb - 1–8
- The women saw and touched the risen Lord - 9–10
- The chief priests unwittingly confirmed that the tomb was empty - 11–15
- Jesus kept His prophetic promise to gather the disciples in Galilee - 16–20 Matthew 26:31–32 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: 'I WILL STRIKE THE SHEPHERD, AND THE SHEEP OF THE FLOCK WILL BE SCATTERED.' But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee."
Mark’s account exposes the fear and unbelief of the resurrection Mark 16:1–20
- The women leave the tomb afraid - 8
- The disciples did not believe Mary’s report - 9–11
- The disciples did not believe the two that walked with Jesus - 12–13
- Jesus rebuked the disciples’ unbelief - 14–15
Luke’s account challenges the difficulty of accepting the resurrection - Luke 24:1–43
- The angels questioned their perplexity - 1–8
- Jesus filled in their lack of understanding - 13–32
- Jesus corrected their misunderstanding - 36–43
- Three difficulties are presented (v. 5, 16, 37) with each being overcome through the power of the scripture (v. 6–8, 32, 44–45).
John’s account encourages faith in the resurrection - John 20:1–31
- Peter and John saw the empty tomb - 1–10
- Jesus showed Himself to Mary and she clung to Him - 11–18
- Thomas believed when he saw Jesus - 24–31
The good news is that Jesus died for our sins and He rose again for our salvation!
1 Corinthians 15:3–4 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,
How have you responded to the good news of Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection?