He Lives to God
We died to sin in Christ in order to make it possible to walk in newness of life.
New life is possible because our old self was crucified with Christ thus severing and doing away with sin’s power over our body.
that we should no longer be slaves of sin - Sin is no longer our master.
- Sinners are slaves of sin - John 8:34 Jesus answered them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.
- We do not have to be slaving for sin - Romans 6:16–18
for he who has dies has been freed from sin - Sin no longer has legal jurisdiction over us.
- Sanctification and justification are connected together.
- To be justified from sin is to be rightly and legally free from sin’s mastery - Acts 13:39 and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.
- We are no longer answerable to sin’s authority -John 8:35–36 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him - We are fully confident that since we participated in Christ’s death we will participate in His life!
knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead dies no more - Three truths about Christ being raised from the dead that make it possible for us to walk in newness of life:
- Death no longer has dominion over Him - Death has no power over Christ. Christ is not under the realm of death. The penalty of death has been paid!
- For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all - Sin has no power over Christ. Christ is not under the realm of sin. The one-time ultimate sacrifice for sin has been offered!
- but the life that He lives, He lives to God - Christ lives under the power of God. Christ lives in the realm of eternal life. Christ is the glory of God!
I heard an old, old story,
How a Savior came from glory,
How He gave His life on Calvary
To save a wretch like me;
I heard about His groaning,
Of His precious blood's atoning,
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory!
Christ won the victory over sin!
Christ has given us the victory over sin!