I AM the Door
Jesus is the only way of access to God and all the benefits and privileges He gives.
- Jesus used the illustration of sheep farming - 1–6
- A sheepfold is an enclosure where sheep are kept when not grazing.
- A sheepfold is used to protect sheep from danger.
- Those who do not enter by the door are unauthorized.
- Those who do enter by the door are approved.
- The shepherd cares for the sheep that belong to him.
- The sheep know the shepherd they belong to.
- There are three points to this illustration: 1) the door; 2) the shepherd; 3) and the sheep.
- Jesus is the door - 7–10
- Jesus is the access point - Matthew 7:13–14 Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
- Jesus is the only way in or out for the sheep.
- Jesus contrasts Himself with false religious leaders.
- The sheep which belong to Jesus will follow only Him.
- One must enter in through Christ is to be saved - Psalm 118:20 This is the gate of the LORD, Through which the righteous shall enter.
- There is a freedom and assurance found only in Jesus Christ both now and forevermore - Romans 8:1–4; Revelation 21:22–27
- The thief is only selfish and cares nothing for the sheep.
- Jesus gives true life and everything that is meaningful in life - Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold From those who walk uprightly.
This passage is an answer to what happened in chapter 9.
- Jesus gave sight to a man who was blind from birth ( 1–12).
- The religious leaders put themselves as the gatekeepers ( 13–34)
- Jesus revealed Himself to the blind man - ( 35–41)
- Jesus is the door that those who are truly the people of God will enter in!
You came to Christ at first to get salvation—you must still come to Christ to get sanctification! Never look for another door, for there is but one, and that one door will let you into life, love, peace, knowledge and sanctification—it will let you into heaven! Christ is the master key of all the rooms in the palace of mercy! And if you get Christ, you shall go in. Nothing shall keep you out of any of the secret chambers. You shall go in, in God’s name, through Christ, the door! C.H. Spurgeon
I AM the Door