I AM the Good Shepherd
Jesus is the Good Shepherd that gives His life for His sheep.
- God has used shepherds as examples of the Good Shepherd.
- God received the first acceptable sacrifice from a shepherd.
- God made an everlasting covenant with a shepherd.
- God named His people after a shepherd.
- God used a shepherd to save His people from famine.
- God delivered His people from Egypt through a shepherd.
- God chose a shepherd and made him king.
- Jesus is the Good Shepherd - 11–18
- The emphasis is on the kind of shepherd He is. He is the model shepherd. He is everything every other shepherd falls short of and He is everything a shepherd of God’s people should be!
- The Good Shepherd has come to seek the lost sheep - Luke 15:1–7
- The Good Shepherd tends, feeds, and protects His sheep - Psalm 23
- The Good Shepherd gives His life for His sheep - John 10:11
- The Good Shepherd gives His life as a sacrifice on the behalf of His sheep to save them from death - Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
- The Good Shepherd is true and faithful unlike the hireling -Ezekiel 34:2 Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy and say to them, “Thus says the Lord GOD to the shepherds: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flocks?” Jeremiah 23:1 “Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!" says the LORD.
- The Good Shepherd knows His sheep.
- The Good Shepherd is known by His sheep - Mark 6:34 And Jesus, when He came out, saw a great multitude and was moved with compassion for them, because they were like sheep not having a shepherd. So He began to teach them many things.
- Jesus is the Good Shepherd because He is in perfect relationship with His Father who sent Him to die for the sheep - Hebrews 13:20 Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant
Lambs are wont to lag behind, prone to wander, and apt to grow weary, but from all the danger of these infirmities the Shepherd protects them with His arm of power. He finds new-born souls, like young lambs, ready to perish—He nourishes them till life becomes vigorous; He finds weak minds ready to faint and die—He consoles them and renews their strength. All the little ones He gathers, for it is not the will of our heavenly Father that one of them should perish. C. H. Spurgeon
I AM the Good Shepherd