I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life
Jesus is the exclusive way of salvation, the absolute truth, and the only source of life.
- Jesus foretold of His departure - 13:31–14:3
- Jesus is glorified with the Father as they share the same divine glory.
- Jesus said this would take place immediately. At this point, what event was looming?
- Jesus was/is glorified in His condescension, His obedient life, His death and His ascension all as one act of obedient righteousness - John 17:1, 4–5
- Jesus departure in death and His return to heaven overlap:
- Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper to be observed in His absence.
- Jesus command to love one another as He loved was to be observed in His absence.
- Jesus told the Jews He was departing - John 7:32–36; 8:21
- Jesus told the disciples He was departing.
- Jesus said He would be put to death and Peter assumed this death was all that He meant - John 11:16, 53; 12:7; 23–24, 27–28, 32–34
- Jesus did speak of His resurrection in the gospel of John but only vaguely - John 2:19; 10:17–18; 11:23–26
- Jesus spoke clearly in terms of His departure and return to the Father and what would happen during His absence - 14:12–17:26
- Believers make the same departure as Jesus - 14:4–6
- Jesus assured and encouraged the disciples.
- Jesus departed to prepare a place for His disciples!
- Jesus promised to return and take His disciples to His Father’s house!
- Jesus had made it clear that because they knew Him they knew where He was going and how to get there but He anticipated Thomas’ question.
- Jesus did not simply make a way, He is the way. In Christ is the way.
- Jesus did not simply declare the truth, He is the truth. In Christ is the truth.
- Jesus did not simply show how to live, He is the life. In Christ is life.
- Jesus is the way to God because He is the supreme revelation of the truth of God and He has the divine life of God in Himself.
- Jesus is the ONLY way, the ONLY truth, and the ONLY life of salvation! Outside of Jesus there is no other way, no other truth, and no other life.
- No one will come to God through Moses and Old Testament.
- No one will come to God through good works.
- No one will come to God through religious ceremony.
- No one will come to God through any other way other than Jesus because He is the only way, only truth, and the only life!
How can a person be a way? Once there was an elderly woman trapped high up in a burning building. After many futile attempts she tried to come down the fire escape, but it wasn’t until a fireman came in person to carry her down she was saved.
I AM the Way the Truth and the Life