No Condemnation in Christ
Romans 8 is the highpoint in the book of Romans
Romans 8 is the conclusion of chapters 1 thru 7.
Romans 8 is the goal of the Christian life.
Romans 8 is the promise of security in Christ under the reign of grace.
Believers are not under the condemnation of the guilt or power of sin!
There is therefore - Based upon all that has been written until now.
- who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit may not be part of the original text. This clause belongs in verse 4.
- Therefore is there because we are justified by faith - Romans 1:16–17
- Therefore is there because we are under the reign of grace - Romans 5:20–21
- Therefore is there because we are dead to the law, so that, we may be married to Christ - Romans 7:4
- Therefore is there because we have been delivered from the law, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit - Romans 7:6
- Therefore is there because through Jesus Christ we are saved from this body of death through Jesus Christ our Lord - Romans 7:24–25
now no condemnation - We have been set free from the penalty and power of sin.
- Romans 8 is not describing a “higher life” that only some Christians attain.
- Romans 8 is describing the security we have with Christ despite our struggle with sin and suffering.
- The condemnation is the final and eternal judgment of God for sin.
- Christians can suffer the consequences of sin in God’s chastisement.
- When is there no condemnation? Now!
to those who are in Christ Jesus - Being in Christ is a position.
- No one earns a position in Christ - Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Being in Christ means being saved by Christ - Romans 3:24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus
- Being in Christ means the guarantee of eternal glory with Christ - Romans 8:17
Are you in Christ? Friend, we urge you to believe the gospel and call upon Jesus to save you today!
Brother and sister, for those who are in Christ there is security despite our ongoing struggle with sin.