Not Asamed of the Gospel
The religion of Christanity is not a birthright or an ethnic or tribal identity;
The religion of Christianity is not a system of religious ceremonies;
The religion of Christianity is not a system of law (sharia);
The religion of Christianity is the gospel;
What is the gospel? Good news. What is the good news? 1 Cor 15:1–4
The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.
The gospel is the good news of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ
Chrstianity is the gospel; the gospel is a message; the message is Christ
gospel of Christ - What is said of the gospel can be said of Christ;
The gospel is the center/key/ hub for all theology and truth
The gospel is the power of God to salvation -
The power of ability; power that makes it happen
- Creative power - Jer 32:17 'Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You.
- Power over life - Luke 1:35–37 And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
-Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren.
-For with God nothing will be impossible."
- Supernatural power - Luk 6:17–19 And He came down with them and stood on a level place with a crowd of His disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem, and from the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, who came to hear Him and be healed of their diseases, as well as those who were tormented with unclean spirits. And they were healed. And the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for power went out from Him and healed them all.
- Saving power! Power of God TO SALVATION
2Pe 2:5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly;
Gen 45:7 And God sent me before you to preserve a posterity for you in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance.
Exo 14:30 So the LORD saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians,
Psa 27:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?
Luk 2:29–30 Lord, now You are letting Your servant depart in peace, According to Your word; For my eyes have seen Your salvation
John 3:16–17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
Salvation from sin and death: Joh_5:24 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
What’s going to save you?
- Not the church: baptism, communion, mass, sacraments, confession, religious works
- Not your birthright: born into a christian family; infant baptism to christian parents
- Not your good works: best efforts to do right;
Faith (everyone who believes): belief; The act of faith; Faith is the means of salvation
FAITH IS NOT THE POWER THAT SAVES; FAITH ACCESSES THE POWER THAT SAVES
Saving faith is trusting in the gospel of Christ for salvation;
Don’t trust anything else; Don’t depend on anything else; Don’t call upon anything else
Act 16:30 And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
Act 16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved,
The gospel is the message of Christ’s death burial and resurrection
The gospel is the power of God to salvation
The Gospel is received by faith; The Gospel is effective through faith
WHO IS THE GOSPEL INTENDED FOR?
Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
Everyone! All and any; no one is excluded from the saving power of God!
To the Jew first - Descendants of Abraham
- First in chronology; order; first in line; first Christians were Jews
- First in priority; The N.T. pattern was to enter the synygogues first
- First in privilidge; election; position; possession
The Jews are people of God; the reciepients of the covenant promises
Isa 45:17 But Israel shall be saved by the LORD With an everlasting salvation; You shall not be ashamed or disgraced Forever and ever.
Deu 33:29 Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD,
Joh 4:22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.
Romans 3:1–2; 9:4–5
Also for the Greek (Gentiles) Non-Jews; Isa_11:10 And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, Who shall stand as a banner to the people; For the Gentiles shall seek Him,
I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST
Paul’s burden for the salvation of souls; A Christian’s witness/mission
- 14 - I am a Debtor - Moral obligation; A debtor owes another; Gospel belongs to all
- 15 - I am ready - Evangelistic passion; eager to evangelize (euaggelizo)
- 16 - I am not ashamed - Unembarrased of Christ and His message of salvation
- Witness for the gospel? Christians are prosolytizers; our goal is to convert
- Tempted to be embarassed? Christians are confrontational
- The gospel brings contempt; Christians are bold; 2 Timothy 1:3–12
Mar 8:38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."