Paul’s Departing Words
Paul is our apostle and the Lord has set him as our example - 1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
- Paul’s example as a servant - 17–25
- Paul served with humility - Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
- Paul served with tears - John 11:35 Jesus wept.
- Paul served with trials from enemies - Luke 22:28 But you are those who have continued with Me in My trials.
- Paul served boldly - John 18:20 Jesus answered him, "I spoke openly to the world. I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where the Jews always meet, and in secret I have said nothing.
- Paul sacrificed himself for his ministry - Luke 9:51 Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem,
- Paul finished his service with joy - Hebrews 12:2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Paul served with a clear conscience because he taught and preached God’s word and not his own word - John 12:48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.
- Paul’s exhortation to the elders of the church - 28–31
- Elders are to be careful of their own spiritual well-being.
- Elders are to be careful for the flock’s spiritual well-being.
- The Holy Spirit calls, qualifies, and gives men to lead in the church.
- Elders are spiritually mature men of proven character.
- Bishops or overseers provide spiritual leadership.
- Pastors feed and care for the soul’s for whom Christ died.
- Watch out for enemies who will come from the outside.
- Watch out for enemies who will come from the inside.
- Paul warned the church against sin and compromise.
- Paul dedicated the church to God - 32–38
- The word of God is sufficient.
- Paul gave everything he had to the service of others.
Paul has left us an example of Christian service - Acts 20:35 It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Paul's Departing Words
Topics: Christian Living