Paul’s Testimony: Conviction of Sin
Paul’s conversion is an example that all conversions follow. Every Christian first began as a non-Christian.
- Every conversion testimony includes the recognition and understanding that I am a sinner - 12a
- Paul was born into and raised up in a conservative religious home.
- Paul committed the most heinous kind of sin.
- Paul confessed to having a sinful heart - Romans 7:8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire.
- Paul understood himself to be the greatest sinner deserving of the severest judgment and in the most desperate need of salvation - 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
- Every conversion testimony includes the conviction of sin - 12b–14
- Sinners experience guilt for sin through their conscience - Roman 2:15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them
- The Holy Spirit convicts sinners concerning Christ - John 16:8–11
- Sin: unbelief is the proof of sinfulness.
- Righteousness: God’s righteousness is in Christ.
- Judgment: Satan is judged and all who follow him are judged.
- Paul was a sinner under conviction for His sin against Jesus.
- His name mentioned twice is personal and intimate.
- He realized his sin was against Jesus personally.
- Paul could not resist the convicting work of the Holy Spirit.
- A goad is a pointed stick that directs animals.
- Paul was being convicted by the Holy Spirit.
- It was becoming too difficult for Paul to resist Jesus.
"I do not understand how a man can be a true believer, in whom sin is not the greatest burden, sorrow and trouble."- John Owen
When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long.
For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me;
My vitality was turned into the drought of summer. Selah
I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I have not hidden.
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,"
And You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah
Paul's Testimony: Conviction of Sin