Right Reactions to the Crucifixion
There were many evil actions and failed reactions to the death of Christ. Jesus was betrayed, forsaken, denied, blasphemed, falsely accused, rejected, and hated. But in the midst of the evils and failures, the gospels record five unlikely, but right reactions to Jesus’ crucifixion.
Mary’s worship - Mark 14:3–9
- Mary didn’t understand everything about Jesus.
- Mary poured out her heart in love and devotion.
The thief’s plea - Luke 23:39–43
- The thief began as a blasphemer and rejecter of Christ.
- The thief realized that Jesus was His only hope.
The centurion’s confession - Luke 23:46–47
- The centurion considered everything he heard and saw.
- The centurion believed - Mark 15:39 So when the centurion, who stood opposite Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, "Truly this Man was the Son of God!"
Joseph of Arimathea’s courage - John 19:38–42
- Joseph was afraid of the cost.
- Joseph and Nicodemus openly sided with Jesus - Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
The women’s faithfulness - Matthew 27:55–56; 61; Luke 23:55 And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid.
- The women were faithful in serving Jesus during His ministry - Mark 15:40–41 There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the Less and of Joses, and Salome, who also followed Him and ministered to Him when He was in Galilee, and many other women who came up with Him to Jerusalem.
- These women were unexpected and humble witnesses for Christ.
The good news is that Jesus died for our sins and He rose again for our salvation!
1 Corinthians 15:3–4 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,
How have you responded to the good news of Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection?
Simple person; not the smartest; not the most talented; in the background;
What’s keeping you from being the most loving and devoted follower of Christ?
How did Mary learn about the death of Jesus?
The disciple were trying to figure it all out; blinded them to what Jesus was saying
We spend to much time trying to figure it all out and it can blind us to what Jesus is saying
Mat_6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Luk_6:27 "But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
Luk_6:37 "Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
Joh_15:12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
Joh_14:15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments.
How can you excel at love and devotion to Christ? by believing and trusting Him
Then give it all to Him; Just break it open and pour it all out on Christ!!!!!
He was a fighter; Mat 27:44 Even the robbers who were crucified with Him reviled Him with the same thing.
He was a strong; capable; intelligent; experienced;
not the monetary cost…
Mat 10:32–33 "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.
1Co 1:26–29 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
that no flesh should glory in His presence.
Mat 26:53 Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels?
not women… John was standing there with the women;