Serving with Love
Saying and doing the right thing without love is like meaningless noise, a useless effort, and of worthless value (1 Corinthians 13:1–3).
- Christ’s introduction - 1
- The messengers of the church are under the authority of Christ - Titus 2:15 Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you.
- Christ is to be found among His churches. He is always active in them.
- Christ’s commendation - 2–3
- Serving Christ on this earth is hard work.
- Christians must push through adversity.
- God’s people are to resist evil - Jude 1:22–23 And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.
- The church must not allow false teachers and false doctrine - 1 Timothy 3:15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
- Brothers and sisters we must not give up but keep on going for Christ!
- Christ’s rebuke - 4
- We must be careful that Christ is not against us.
- We must not become so busy for Christ that we neglect Christ.
- We love Christ first in order and first in priority. Our service to Him is empty without our love to Him first.
- Christ’s encouragement - 5–6
- Our weakness can be our memory. The pressures and distractions of life can cause us to forget what is important. Sometimes we are so busy serving that we forget why and who we are serving.
- Our hearts must be continually broken and turning to Christ. The first works are those activities that are related to our first love. What did we have to give to the Lord Jesus the moment of our salvation? Our heart.
- Removing the lampstand means removing the church from Christ’s presence. From our perspective it’s the removal of Christ from the church.
- Nicolaitans: “conqueror of people” A Christian sect of which we know little about today. Our absence of information may reveal the success of silencing this false teaching.
Anyone can hear the words of Jesus. Believers are overcomers.
Serving with Love
Topics: The Church