The Gathering of the Local Church
The local church must gather together regularly.
And let us consider one another - We must always have a regard for the whole church.
- The christian life is not an individualistic pursuit - Philippians 2:1–4
- The christian life is a corporate pursuit - 1 Corinthians 1:2 To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours
in order to stir up - People need to be motivated, provoked, or stimulated to action.
- Our flesh has a sinful tendency to be self-centered.
- Our flesh has a sinful tendency to drift from the Lord - Hebrews 2:1 Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.
love - Love must continue to grow.
- We must have a continual love for each other - Ephesians 4:1–3
- We must have a true love for God - Ephesians 6:23–24
and good works - Living lives in obedience to the Lord.
- Performing good deeds for each other - Hebrews 13:16
- Living a life of righteousness before the Lord - Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some - The public meetings of the saints are necessary to every saint.
- Persecution and dangers can cause Christians to avoid meeting publically.
- It can be tempting to abandon the meeting of the saints for personal reasons.
but exhorting one another - Believers need to be discipled and built up in the faith.
- We need the preaching and teaching of the word - 1 Corinthians 14:18–19
- We need to be encouraged not to waver and not to quit.
and so much the more as you see the Day approaching - Be ready for Christ’s return!
- We must have a fear of the Lord - 1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.
- We must be serving Christ and others till He returns!
The meeting of the saints for discipleship, edification, and worship is necessary.
Will you make the gathering of the saints a priority in your life?