The Last Words of Christ
In His final words on the cross the Lord taught us about Himself and His sacrifice.
- Jesus Christ offers forgiveness to any who seek it - Luke 23:27–34a
- If the innocent can be delivered over to judgment (difficult to burn green wood) how much more the wicked (easy to burn dry wood)?
- Jesus prayed for the forgiveness of sinners even those who crucified Him.
- Jesus Christ is the only hope salvation for the condemned - Luke 23:39–43
- Jesus identified Himself with the condemned - Mark 15:27 With Him they also crucified two robbers, one on His right and the other on His left. So the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH THE TRANSGRESSORS." (Isaiah 53:12)
- The Lord has assured that those who repent and call upon Him will be saved!
- Jesus Christ shows compassion for the lives of those He loves - John 19:25–27
- Mary was entrusted to John as part of a new family of God—the church.
- We are to relate to each other as family - 1 Timothy 5:1–2 Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, with all purity.
- Jesus Christ suffered the wrath of God upon the cross - Mark 15:33–34
- Jesus offered Himself as a sacrifice in the place of the sinner.
- God the Father punished His own Son for our sin - Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
- Jesus Christ’s sufferings were necessary for the plan of salvation - John 19:28
- Jesus Christ completes the prophetic picture of the Messiah who would suffer for sinners - Psalm 69:21 They also gave me gall for my food, And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
- If Jesus was thirsty upon His cross, so will we be upon ours. The world cannot offer anything but vinegar to quench thirst.
- Jesus Christ completed God’s plan of salvation - John 19:30
- Jesus Christ accomplished the work of atonement.
- All that must be done for salvation has been done by Jesus!
- Jesus Christ committed His whole life into the Father’s hands - Luke 23:46
- Jesus is the quintessential (supreme) example of a righteous sufferer.
- Jesus trusted in the promise of God to resurrect Him. (Psalm 16:9-11)
John 20:31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
The Last Words of Christ
Topics: The Lord Jesus Christ