What then… What are you getting at? Hear the conclusion of the matter.
- Do we Jews have any leverage with God? Is there not something we can do?
- Not in any way is there anything you can do to attain God’s righteousness!
- God’s indictment is upon both Jews and Gentiles:
The Gentiles have turned away to ungodliness and unrighteousness (1:18–32).
The Jews have knowingly and stubbornly rejected the goodness of God (2:1–16).
The law of God is always transgressed and God is dishonored (2:17–24).
The ritual of circumcision is not meant to make one righteous (2:25–29).
God’s judgment upon the unrighteous is righteous (3:1–8).
- All are under the condemnation of sin. All are under the power of sin’s reign.
- Paul now gives scriptural proof of the reign of sin every lost person in the world:
- 10–12 - The character of people (Psalm 14:1–3; 53:1–3)
- 13–14 - The speech of people (Psalm 5:9; 140:3; 10:7)
- 15–17 - The ways and direction of people (Isaiah 59:7–8)
- 18 - The thinking of people (Psalm 36:1)
- The jurisdiction of the law of God is over every person.
- There is no argument against the law of God to defend the sinner.
- Because all are under the power of sin then all are under guilt before God.
- No one apart from God will ever be able to attain God’s righteousness through the works of the law.
- The law of God cannot make one righteous it can only identify the unrighteous.
Romans 1:16–17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."