Who Will Deliver Me?
Romans 7 corrects the error of thinking that the law can help us to overcome sin.
Romans 7 is describing anyone who is under conviction about their disobedience to God.
Romans 7 will be an indicator of our view and experience of the Christian life.
The law cannot deliver us from the power of sin because of our sinful flesh.
The reason the law is unable to deliver us from sin is given in three cycles:
1) Romans 7:14–17; 2) Romans 7:18–20; 3) Romans 7:21–23
Each cycle has three parts:
- Argument stated - v. 14; v. 18; v. 21
- Argument proven - v. 15–16; v. 19; v. 22
- Conclusions drawn - v. 17; v. 20; v. 23
- 14 - Our flesh is dominated by the power of sin which can still enslave us.
- 18 - My flesh is a sinful nature that is always in me and can do no good.
- 21 - Sin operates through my flesh like an unchanging unbreakable absolute law.
- 15–16 - The sin I do is in contradiction to what I think of sin, I do not approve it.
- 19 - I have a will and desire to obey God but my actions contradict my will.
- 22 - I rejoice in the law of God in the inward man.
- 17 - Indwelling sin is a foreign invader overtaking me and controlling me.
- 20 - Indwelling sin is in me and part of me, but it is not me.
- 23 - Indwelling sin operating through the flesh is always warring against me, ensnaring
me, and subjugating me.
O wretched man that I am! - This is a miserable, woeful, and deplorable condition.
Who will deliver me from this body of death - The law? The law cannot rescue me from indwelling sin producing death in me as it operates through the flesh.
I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord - Praise the Lord for the GOOD NEWS!!!
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
- This is the state of our condition this side of heaven.
- We have two natures at work within us.
- The new nature operates (v. 23) through my mind - 1 Corinthians 2:12–16
- Indwelling sin operates through my flesh.
Brother and sister, there will always be a conflict to obey God.
God uses this conflict to test us and so that we will see the need to call out to Him!